There are several organizations that have worked tirelessly to create various security based Linux Distribution . Among the most well known Penetration Testing distribution is known as ” BACKTRACK “. Backtrack is not new now .
For a hacker a Backtrack Linux is like a dream come true . Whole distribution comes preloaded with hundreds of security tools that are already installed .
The Best thing about the Backtrack is : Its FREE!
Download Link : http://www.backtrack-linux.org/downloads/
Point to be Remember 1 : When you run your Backtrack DVD , shortly after system will presented the menu list . you need to be carefully review this list , its contains several different options .
- If you have some trouble getting Backtrack to boot , then choose Backtrack Debug – Safe Mode
- If you want to run the system memory test then select Backtrack Memtest – Run memtest
- If you just wanna start Backtrack Live then Choose Backtrack Text – Default Boot Text Mode
Point to Remember 4 : Commands used on Backtrack Linux .
- konsole : This command is used to start the terminal .
- ifconfig : This command is used to view system ip address.
- ifconfig -a : This will shows the interface available like ” eth0 ” and ” lo ” .Here eth0 is your ” ethernet card” and ” lo ” is a loop-back adapter .
- ifconfig eth0 up : This command is used to turn on the network card.
- poweroff or init 0 : This command is used to shutdown the Backtrack .
- reboot : This command is used to reboot Backtrack .
These are some points which should remember while using Backtrack Linux OR any other Linux .